Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Scene that captured my interest

I keep thinking about one Scene in Stagecoach that was beautifully executed, that it helps me understand why Orson Welles watched the film 40 times.

To set up the scene for you, Ringo Kid (John Wayne) sees Dallas speaking to one of the mexicans in a hallway which leads to the outdoors of the place the were staying at. The lighting of the background was dark and as Dallas walked off towards the outdoors she began to become a blur in the distance. When Ringo Kid approached the Mexican shortly after, John Waynes' character began to illuminate amongst the dark background. His height and way his body shaped with the light hitting him, made him stand out from all the rest of the characters at that moment for me. It made him the hero of the film. It was as if he was a beacon of light , and as he walked through that door towards Dallas, it was as if he was bringing the light to her and rescued her from what her life could only be.

Fun Fact : After listening to the character Buck's voice, I thought I recognized it from another film that I have watched many times before. I IMDB'd him and found that he was Friar Tuck in Disney's Robin Hood.

2 comments:

  1. That's really funny that you should mention both of those, I loved that shot from Stagecoach. And I JUST watched Robin Hood the other night and I was like WHERE have I heard that voice before ?? Friar Tuck, because I've seen the movie 100 times but all of a sudden that voice I recognized from somewhere so I had to do the same thing and found out it was Buck's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. I know we touched on this in class a bunch, but I can entirely see how the director, single handedly, shot John Wayne to superstardom. He really did make John Wayne badass in this one. Really cool scene, too. On a side note, love Friar Tuck, the Disney Robin Hood on the whole, and that soundtrack, especially.

    ReplyDelete