Thursday, March 26, 2009

A touch of evil or a touch of bordem.



This came as quite a shock to myself, but this was one of the first movies I have had to try to keep myself awake during. I was really excited to see this movie, because I enjoyed watching Citizen Kane and assumed this film would meet my expectations. I clearly was wrong. Don't get me wrong, I thought the actual filming of this movie was brilliant. Orson Welles knows how to capture images that not many directors can do through film. The different angles and shots he carried throughout the film helped to keep me awake, but overall I felt that there is a reason why this film isn't considered a classic.


I found Charlton Heston's character to be entertaining to watch, to say the least. Not only did wear brown makeup to look as though he was Mexican (which was funny seeing how he didn't change his voice and had the same presence that he has in every film), it could even be stated that he took the role of the "woman" in this film. His character had just gotten married to this beautiful woman, and he has given up plently of opportunities to have his fun with her to do work. Now I don't know what man would actually chose his job over some woman who is ready and willing, but Heston's character wanted nothing to do with it. In luz Calvo's article, it is mentioned that "Welles highlights questions of racial and cultural difference by putting these differences in tension with sexual difference and sexual transgression." Welle's played around with sexuality and the stereotypes of sexuality within the Mexican male characters. Janet Leigh's character in the story was a woman who focused on the stereotypes on how American's precieve Mexican men. In one of the opening scenes, her character is approached by a Mexican who begins to speak in Spanish to her. He is trying to help her out, but she assumes he is hitting on her speaks to him as if he is street trash. Later on in the film while she is in the hotel, her assumptions about Mexicans became true from what she made of it. It showed how this stereotypical predjudices come out, even when you believe you don't have any.


I really enjoyed the technical aspects of this film. One scene in particular that gave me chills was at the very end when Welle's character walks over to the cop who shot him and lifts his hand up to his. A drop of blood spills on his hand and he topples over into the water on his back. The way the camera captured this moment was erie and has stuck with me ever since the movie has ended. I will give credit to where credit is due in saying the Orson Welles is a creative genius.


I honestly don't think I would recommend this movie to anyone who wants to watch a movie for the fun of it and I really don't think I will ever watch it again. I ultimatly have to say I was pretty disappointed when I had a better time watching a movie such as Tourist Trap, compared to this.




5 comments:

  1. Haha, hey at least your honest on here with your opinions. Personally, I loved this movie. I can agree with you though how Welles is a creative genius and did produce some truly beautiful shots within this film. Was it the story and plot that had you falling asleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'll 3rd the praising of Welles and his cinamatography. Really some cool stuff in this film speaking from a technical standpoint. I got to say I loved this thing so I disagree when it comes to that, but then again I never saw tourist trap

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to know that other people agree with me on the fact that this film was a bit of a bore. You're totally correct about the camera angles and such, I think, and I have heard many people saying that these techniques are Orson Welles' true contribution to film-making. I like your comments about the ready and willing woman, and Tourist Trap...heheh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. It didn't occur to me that anybody would find this movie boring--it's so high-tension in so many ways, and the camera is such a lively presence, with a lot of unexpected cinematography.

    Also, it never occurred to me that Heston's character was feminized--an extremely white Mexican, sure. But why feminine? That could be really interesting, and I'd have liked to see you take off with it--as well as to incorporate the reading into your discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I checked out a couple scenes from that movie, Tourist Trap. Ohhhh my !! I would really like to watch the whole thing..but I watched the clip where the guy plasters the one girls face in the basement. Hah..crazy. "Ohhh you are sooo pretty...it's a shame you have to die."

    ReplyDelete