Friday, February 20, 2009

I couldn't hear my own footsteps... it was the walk of a dead man.


Who doesn't love a good old film noir? Double indemnity became that film for me that topped The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca.  The first time I saw this film I was about six years old with my dad and all I really understood from actually watching it was the leading actress had a really ugly hairdo.  I saw it again later on in my high school years and have grown to love it.  
After watching this film for a third time, I realized what draws everyone in to this film is the quick raunchy dialogue that is played out through the course of the film.  Learning about the Hays code and how the government liked to control everything within the movie industry, it came across clear how films, such as this one fought back.  The whole content of the movie first off completely goes against the code.  In the article it states that "No picture shall be produced which will lower the moral standards of those who see it." This meant that no one should ever feel sympathy for someone doing acts of crime or sin.  Honestly, I felt bad for the main character, even though he was a scumbag, he still was a human who realized he made a mistake and had to pay for it in the end.
Even within the dialogue they are making sexual suggestions without actually acting out on these ideas.  When Walter says " How could I have known that murder can sometimes smell like honeysuckle?" is a very loose metaphor which audience members DO understand.  
 I also found that when our class discussion went into certain scenes and why they are in that particular location it got me thinking more indepth about the grocery scenes. I agree that it is as if we the audience are looking in and listening to their conversation, but I also feel like it is foreshadowing to that not all secrets can be kept hidden. Towards the end of the film, the secret comes out of the murder.  
Everything about this movie kept me on my toes, and even at the end when Walter is asking for a cigarette, I felt a sigh of relief that finally all that weight was lifted off from his shoulders, and mine. 

3 comments:

  1. yes, i love the raunchy dialogue and sexual innuendos as well, it's always so interesting to watch movies that were made during the Hays code, once learning what that is of course, and seeing how writers and directors would involve sex with not really involving sex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really cool that you've gotten a chance to see this movie so many times because I feel like every time you watch a movie you pick up on new things, and even before our class discussion and our review of what a the film noire's classic elements, you had probably subconsciously picked up on it from watching the film so much. however after learning about the hays code i'm sure you noticed the sexual innuendos a lot more this time around..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right that Hays Code era movies were largely subversive--they did everything they could to get away with what the Code forbade.

    Your point about the audience is really well-taken. It might be an interesting paper to talk about how this movie implicates the audience--the way it makes us feel like we're spying on people.

    ReplyDelete