Saturday, April 25, 2009

Could the 80's have been any stranger?


From the moment there was a exchange of sex partners within the first 5 minutes of Repo Man, I knew I was going to be left really confused and put off by the rest of this movie.  Not only did the 80's 80's shine through out this entire film, but it even began to poke fun at the culture of this time period.  With the labels on the drinks and beer cans being the literal name "Beer" and "Drinks" , I found myself laughing at how absurd this frmovie was.  
Not only was the plot of this movie all over the place, but the connections of events were completely scattered.  I guess one could hint that it reflected how during this time, everyone was really just all over the place and no one really knew how to fit in with the rest of society.   I just took it as something that left me thinking too much about what just happened, when something else really extreme comes along.  It made me get the same feeling I get from watching the T.V. Show Tim and Eric (if anyone has ever seen this they will know what I mean).  
Although I would love to incorporate the reading into my blog, I honestly felt the same way while doing the reading as I did while watching this film: confused.  This idea of postfuturism is something that I could connect with though. Certain aspects of this film made me think of the film Brazil. In that film, it made the world that we live in , to be one big mess. Everyone and everything was always moving and there wasn't any time to stop. If you fell out of line, you were outcasting yourself from society.  Repo Man seemed to do the same thing, only it toyed with the whole 80's punk idea.  

Honestly, I don't think I would ever watch this film again. It left me very confused and asking myself the question : why did we watch this again?


4 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of what you say, and I definitely don't think I would watch this one again either. I think the social commentary it makes is really the only credible aspect of the film (the mockery that is displayed with the food labels, etc). If it weren't for that then I would also be asking myself why in the heck we watched this film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for some reason found it to be really entertaining and inventive. Can't stand Tim and Eric but I ate this thing up for some reason. What's Brazil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's this amazing film that everyone must see. If you like movies, you will love it. It is kind of a twist on 1984.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely watch Brazil.

    People's response to Repo Man puzzled me. You're like the first group of people I've ever met who didn't much like it. It's really just about--the '80s--a satirical look at what life was pretty much really like then.

    It also messes with established Hollywood cinematic convention in some pretty inventive ways.

    ReplyDelete