Friday, April 17, 2009

Waiting for Shaft to make his entrance...


Now I remember why I don't watch that many 70's movies. I have to say even though this movie was not filmed all too well, and the story line wasn't all that great, I want to watch the rest of it and see the end. Petey Wheatstraw is a interesting character to say the least. I found it intriguing how the film begins almost as if it is going to be this serious portrayal of Petey's life, yet five minutes into it I realized how hystrical it really was.

I know this film was probably considered shocking, but honestly I have seen a lot worse. The watermelon, and regular size boy popping out of his mother was no big suprise here. The only real shocking thing to me was how karate fit into the film. I think for as much as I have seen of this, I liked the opening credits the most. It reminded me of a old Kung Fu movie, except with an African American boy who wants to beat the shit out of kids who picked on him.

Even though I am going to watch the rest of the film on my own, I can see why we didn't take up two class periods to finish this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment