Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mickey and Mallory know the difference between right and wrong; they just don't give a damn.


As anyone could tell from my facial expression on Wednesday, this movie left me speechless. Now, I'm not saying I have never seen films like this before, I have, but there was just something about Natural Born Killers that rubbed me the wrong way...but in that good way.
A few people touched on the fact that Serial Killers are so intriguing that we all seem to be drawn to the explanation of how people can murder for no apparent reason. I remember when the film Strangers came out, I heard from someone that it was based off of the Charles Manson case, and I decided that I was going to do as much research as I possibly could before seeing the movie in theatres. For some reason I was so intrigued by Manson's life story, I quickly began reading biographies written on his life. As we watched through Natural Born Killers curiosity on serial killers became more of an obsession to people. With the help of the media, it portrayed how even though society claims to be individualised, we all are shaped and molded by what the media tells us to be.
With all the quick shots to commericals and other T.V. shows throughout the film, I got that the film was sending subliminal messages that we are all just warped by what the media tells us, and that Micky and Mallory may not just be acting out out their "natural instincts", but more on how the media wants them to act.
The reading describes the scene where Micky is being interviewed in the jail and makes a comment about being a "natural born killer" and then the camera cuts to a commerical break. The commerical is a coca cola commerical where the polar bears are drinking cokes while watching the Aurora Borelias. Apparently, in the Native American tradition, both Bears and the Aurora Borelias are dangerous and if people aren't careful they can "mesmerize you and steal your soul". I feel as though this is the message throughout the entire film. Except, it isn't polar bears who are stealing our souls, it is the media.

2 comments:

  1. What is it about us that draws us to things that are completely vile? It's a weird complex and you are without a doubt not the only person who is fascinated by this kind of stuff. I found the part about the Bears to be interesting too, at first I thought it was just a pop culture thing... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, pithy entry here. I wish you'd have expanded some.

    ReplyDelete